REAL LIFE

Torn apart by a treadmill

Her hand looked like it had been through a blender

An Aussie mum has spoken out about the dangers of treadmills after her girl got deep tissue burns from their home gym running machine.

Kelly Gay, 35, from South Hedland, didn’t realise until it was too late that her son, Riley, six, and daughter, Sienna, three, had found the hidden key to the gym equipment and turned it on.

‘I heard a blood-curdling scream run through the house. I followed the cried to the kids’ playroom where I was faced with a horrifying scene,’ explains Kelly.

Sienna had become wedged between the wall and the whirring belt of her treadmill.

Kelly’s husband, Adam, 42, desperately tried to free their girl while Kelly pulled the safety key out of the machine.

‘Her stomach had been rubbed red raw, while her right had been burned so badly it looked like it’d been caught in a blender,’ said Kelly.

Sienna’s stomach burns.
Sienna’s damaged hand.

At the hospital, they discovered Sienna would need to undergo a skin graft.

She’ll have to wear an arm compression garment for 24 hours a day for up to two years,’ said Kelly.

‘I’m sharing my story to warn other parents to never be complacent about hiding keys to exercise equipment.’

For more real-life stories see issue 17 of that’s life! magazine – out now!

Related stories