NEWS

Kangaroo killer pleads guilty after 20 animals mowed down during ute rampage

Almost a dozen roos were killed

A man has admitted his part in the death of 11 kangaroos after they were mowed down in a brutal rampage.

Around 20 eastern grey kangaroos were struck by a ute on the south coast of New South Wales in September.

Nathan Sanger, 20, pleaded guilty to one count of torturing, beating and killing an animal in relation to the attack.

He made the admission at Bega Local Court on Tuesday where he was sentenced to a two-year intensive correction order.

According to court documents, Sanger was behind the wheel of the Mazda utility on the night of the attack.

Magistrate Douglas Dick said Sanger was remorseful for his part in the attack and has since volunteered at a wildlife sanctuary.

But the judge said the court had been contacted by local residents who were still horrified over the senseless killing, according to ABC.

During sentencing, he told Sanger: “Each time you lined up a kangaroo, it was an act of cruelty with no regard to the pain the animal would suffer.”

The attack happened in the town of Merimbula
(The attack happened in the town of Merimbula, New South Wales. Credit: Google)

The roos were a regular sight in the beachside town of Merimbula when they were struck late one Saturday night.

As well as the 11 kangaroos killed, a number of others were injured in the attack, including a joey named Nullah.

As part of Sanger’s sentence, he will have to perform 500 hours of community service.

Another man, Ashley Sorenson, 33, was also charged over the attack.

In court on Tuesday, he pleaded not guilty to the same charge and is due back on January 14.

Related stories