NEWS

Sick boy dies after dad ‘blew donated money on prostitutes, drugs and booze’

It's reported he spent over $150,000 of it

A toddler who was battling a rare disease, has tragically died after his dad blew money raised for him on partying, it’s alleged.

João Miguel Alves had spinal muscular atrophy but lost passed away on October 17.

According to reports, his dad Mateus Henrique Leroy Alves, 37, was found in a luxury hotel after his wife Karine Rodrigues reported him to police.

It’s believed he spent two months living there, spending over $150,000 cash raised to treat their boy, on designer clothes, watches, drugs, prostitutes and booze.

The Metro reported that Mateus and Karine started fundraising for João when they had to pay for doses of the drug Spinraza, which costs $90,500, and helps to prevent the disease from advancing.

After a year, the family managed to raise $248,000 for their sick child, most of which was made through a marathon held in their hometown of Conselheiro Lafaiete, south eastern Brazil.

João Miguel Alves
(Credit: Facebook)

João’s parents kept the cash in four bank accounts and Mateus had access to two of them.

In May this year, the dad told Karine that he was going away to train as a security guard.

But his wife soon became suspicious after seeing large withdrawals and bank transfers.

Concerned, she reported it to police, who went to the beachside hotel in Salvador and arrested him.

Mateus Alves, Karine Rodrigues and João Miguel
Mateus Alves, Karine Rodrigues and João Miguel Alves (Credit: Facebook)

At the arrest, Matues told police he was the victim of an extortion scheme.

João didn’t receive his first dose of Spinraza until August this year, when the Brazilian government agreed to cover the cost of the boy’s first three treatments.

He died unexpectedly at home last week. Police are continuing to investigate the case.

Related stories