LIFESTYLE

Serena Williams withdraws from the Australian Open

She shared the announcement on social media.
Getty Images

Serena Williams will no longer compete in the 2018 Australian Open.

The tennis superstar, who welcomed her daughter Alexis four months ago, shared the announcement in a statement on Friday.

“After performing in my first match after giving birth I realized that although I am super close I’m not where I personally want to be,” she wrote.

“My coach and team always said ‘Only go to tournaments when you are prepared to go all the way.’ With that being said I am disappointed to say I’ve decided not to compete in The Australian Open this year,” she said.

“However, the memory of last year’s Open is one that I will carry with me and Olympia and I look forward to coming back again. I appreciate the support and understanding of my fans and everyone at the Australian Open,” she concluded her statement.

Williams competed in and won the Australian Open last year, and was expected to return to Melbourne and defend her title.

This article originally appeared on WHO.

Related stories