Maddie Smith noticed her beloved cat Ruby didn't seem her usual self one morning.
In a post shared publicly on Facebook, Maddie said: 'We initially thought this was just because she was so cold so we got her nice and toasty and left for work as usual.'
But later that day, Ruby deteriorated and was taken to a vet. By now, she was struggling to walk, see and hear.
Blood tests showed Ruby had salt-poisoning.
'She had extremely high sodium levels in her blood,' Maddie said. 'So this severe salt poisoning had caused her brain to swell, and ultimately the neurological problems that followed.'
It turned out Ruby had been licking a salt lamp in the lounge room of her home, and ingested a huge amount of salt.
Luckily, Ruby's condition seems to have been caught in time but she is still recovering from the salt overdose.
However Maddie warned that salt lamps are like 'potato chips' for cats and dogs, and they find it hard to resist their salty taste once they discover it.
She urged pet owners to be aware of the dangers and said she would be removing the lamp from her home.
Maddie's post has been shared by more than 28,000 people since it was posted, and was also shared as warning to other animal lovers by Rose Avenue Vet Hospital in Coff's Harbour.