Health Stories

Woman contracts a staph infection after getting false lashes

The salon was closed down

An Aussie woman has spoken out after false eyelashes from a dirty salon caused her face to erupt with infected pustules.

Kaity Hull, 21, from Donvale, spent $80 on the lashes ahead of a dream trip to Bali.

‘I thought it was $80 well spent. Until the next day – my face felt tight and itchy and my right cheek was red,’ says Kaity.

Thinking she’d had an allergic reaction, Kaity wiped off all of her makeup and hoped for the best.

But the next morning she woke up to see angry white pustules all over her face.

Kaity’s infected face.

‘Panicking, I got a doctor’s appointment straight away,’ says Kaity.

There, she found out she had a staphylococcus infection, a condition where a usually harmless bacteria enters the body and multiplies. Kaity was given steroid cream and antibiotics to clear the infection.

Believing it to be from the beauty salon where she had her lashes done, Kaity sent them a photo of her infected skin.

‘They replied saying it looked like teen acne,’ says Kaity.

Determined to report the salon, she contacted her local council who shut the salon down and gave them seven days to clean up their act.

‘I was glad I prevented anyone else from getting sick but I had to cancel my Bali holiday,’ says Kaity.

A month on, her skin is back to normal but she’s sharing her story to encourage others to check the beauty salons they use are clean and safe.

‘From now on, I’ll check for cleanliness and make sure the tools they use are individually sterilised,’ says Kaity.

For more real-life stories, see issue 19 of that’s life! magazine – out now!

Related stories