Survival

Mum shares graphic warning about the dangers of phone chargers near children

'My daughter was lucky. The next kid may not be as lucky as her.'
Image: Unsplash

A concerned mum has taken to Facebook to warn parents about the dangers of leaving phone chargers near their curious children after her daughter was badly burned.

Late last month Courtney’s 19-month-old daughter suffered a horrific electrical burn to the side of her mouth after sucking a phone charger that her mum had accidentally left plugged into the wall socket.

As soon as she realised what had happened, Courtney rushed her straight to her local GP, where her doctor said there was nothing that they could use to treat the wound in case the young girl licked it.

Courtney has bravely shared the images of the burn online, which appear to get dramatically worse each day.

Day one to four
Day one to four (Credit: Facebook – Courtney N Davis)

Explaining that she would never normally have left the charger plugged in, Courtney said she just had a particularly busy day.

‘Any other day my charger wouldn’t have been plugged up in her reach but because of a bunch of stuff going on that day, I didn’t have time to move it.

‘It took all of a few seconds for her to get burned. She had never tried to put it in her mouth and she had never messed with it. The one day it isn’t moved she stuck it in her mouth and got a severe burn,’ she added.

The following week
The following week (Credit: Facebook – Courtney N Davis)

Courtney used the public post to encourage all parents, grandparents and babysitters to put their phone chargers out of reach of children.

‘My daughter was lucky. The next kid may not be as lucky as her.’

Related stories