REAL LIFE

A boy has been rushed to hospital after swallowing part of a fidget spinner

“Parents of fidget spinners beware.”
Getty Images

A young Sydney-based boy ended up at the Royal North Shore hospital, after he consumed part of a brand-new fidget spinner.

His mother warned other parents about the potential dangers of the toy in the North Shore Mums Facebook page, on Saturday.

“Parents of fidget spinners beware … our son swallowed the disc of a fidget spinner last night and ended up at RNSH Emergency,” she said in the post.

“The side of the spinner was cracked & when he spun it, the disc flew in his mouth & before he realised, he swallowed it!”

“He had it for less than 48 hours. Ours are now in the bin & just want to make you all aware of what can happen with these things.”

“He has to pass it within 2 days or we’re looking at alternative methods of extraction…”

She also shared a picture of her son’s x-ray, which showed the disk lodged in what looks like his stomach.

This isn’t the first time a child has been injured by a fidget spinner. For example, last month a young girl from the U.S.A. swallowed part of one and ended up having it removed from her oesophagus.

Fidget spinners were originally used to treat kids with additional needs such as anxiety, ADD, ADHD and Autism.

Related stories