REAL LIFE

Backlash against popular fidget spinner after dangerous injuries and recalls

The popular toy and therapy tool is causing some people more harm than good.
Getty

The latest craze, in case you missed it, is what’s called a ‘fidget spinner’.

Initially designed to help people with attention problems focus by giving them something to fidget with, the toys have expanded way beyond their initial design and are now a popular playground attraction.

They have even been redesigned to light up, or resemble martial arts weapons.

While the gadgets have been praised for helping people focus, others say the gizmos pose health risks when it comes to injury.

Speaking to Kidspot, this mum was horrified at the injury her son received when a wayward spinner hit him in the eye.

“He threw the spinner up a little higher,” Molly said, “and he didn’t manage to catch the spinner but it came down and clipped the corner of his eye and crunch. He was very lucky not to lose his eyesight let alone his eyeball.”

http://static.kidspot.com.au/cm_assets/221278/capture-20170504134029.png

Another mother posted in a mum’s group on Facebook of the horrifying moment her daughter started choking on a bearing which came loose from a spinner that she tried to clean with her mouth.

http://static.kidspot.com.au/cm_assets/225380/xray-20170517131114.jpg

‘I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving. Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over,’ mum Kelly Rose wrote.

‘The doctor was fascinated – he’d only just learned of fidget spinners that morning when he was at the mall with his son, so it was a surprise to be faced with one in a case a few hours later. He’s also an advocate for related child safety in toys, so he took a special interest in the case.’

‘Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 years old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.’

RELATED: Boy lucky to be alive after having a button battery stuck in throat

Another safety concern is for the light-up spinners, which are powered by button batteries. One toy manufacturer issued a recall when they realised how easy it would be to access the button battery, which poses a potential choking and burns hazard.

Stay safe with the latest toy craze by making sure only children old enough to use the toys safely have access to them. It’s recommend to buy toys that don’t come apart easily to reduce the risk of a choking hazard.

Related stories