• 1 tblsp olive oil
• 4 slices Red Leicester cheese
• 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
• ½ cup bread and butter pickles
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• 4 seeded hamburger buns, halved, grilled
• Mild American mustard, tomato sauce and French fries, to serve
• 500g beef mince
• ½ cup dried packaged breadcrumbs
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• ⅔ cup smoky barbecue sauce
To make patties, combine beef, breadcrumbs, egg and half of the sauce in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Divide into four portions. Shape into 10cm round patties. Brush both sides with remaining sauce.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add patties. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked. Place cheese slices on top.
Cover pan with lid. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove.
Divide lettuce, patties, pickles and onion evenly among bases of buns. Drizzle with mustard and tomato sauce. Replace tops. Serve with fries.