They’ve become a popular fashion trend for babies in recent years, but a woman has warned parents about the dangers of little ones wearing bow headbands.
Leanne from Glasgow took to Facebook to share a tragic story about her friend’s baby, who was suffocated to death by the hair accessory.
Picture posed by model CREDIT: Getty.
In the now-deleted post, she explained that the mother had found her baby girl dead in her carry cot.
The devastated mum had only been gone for thirty minutes, which was enough time for her sleeping bub to pass away from suffocation asphyxiation.
Leanne wrote on the social media site, ‘All mums please be aware, putting this warning for all mums who have wee babies and use the big bow headbands on them.
‘My friend has sadly just lost her 14 week old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping her carry cot after a long walk.’
She continued, ‘When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving..she had passed away.’
‘Post mortem revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation. She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these fashion accessories can have.
‘She had left baby Holly sleeping for only 30 minutes while she showered and changed and forgot to remove her headband and is utterly devastated.’
The shocking post was shared an incredible 90,000 times and had over 8,000 comments.
One woman, Anna Jonhson, wrote, ‘Thank you for sharing and making other mums aware. They should be banned along with silly beaded dummy clips. As cute as they are, health hazard. All thoughts and prayers are sent for Holly and her mum. RIP Angel xxxx.’
RoSPA public health advisor, Sheila Merrill, told Manchester Evening News, ‘Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths. Once in their mouth, they find it difficult to remove the item.
‘Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three.’
Kathryn LewseyKathryn is a Senior Features Writer for that's life! magazine. Her work has been published in The Sun, Daily Mail, Chat, Closer, Kidspot, Real People, Take a Break and MarieClaire.com.au