Tracey Kutluol, a mother of two, posted a video to Facebook of the incident which has since attracted more than 200,000 views.
In the clip Kutluol can be heard talking to her kids before opening the window to get a better view of the storm and joking: "do you think I'll get electrocuted?"
Several seconds later the sky lights up and a loud bang is heard and the phone drops to the ground as Kutluol's daughter screams.
Kutluol can be heard saying, "I just got struck by lightning" several times.
"I just got struck, my phone blew," she adds.
Kutluol said she was OK but still in shock from the incident, which occurred in Galashiels, south of Edinburgh.
"I can't believe what happened, it all happened so quickly and I just saw a big flash right in front of me," Kutluol told the Daily Record.
"I was sitting on my sofa with some friends and my two kids and all of a sudden the storm came out of nowhere.
"We looked out the window and started filming but it was quite dark, so I decided to open the window to get a better view.
"All of a sudden there was a big flash and my phone was flung right out of my hand."
The incident has also highlighted the dangers of electrical storms to Kutluol.
"To anyone thinking about filming lightning I'd honestly say just don't do it. I love photos and videos but you'd never think something like this would happen," Kutluol said.
"My daughter actually thought there was an explosion at first because there was such a loud bang and flash of light.
"We're supposed to get more lightning tonight apparently, and I can tell you now that the second we hear a rumble we'll be downstairs and all out electrics will be unplugged."
This article originally appeared on PerthNow.