A young boy is expected to undergo surgery on Monday after suffering serious burns while celebrating a birthday with his family in Sydney.
The five-year-old boy was dining at a teppanyaki restaurant in Narellan, in the city's south west on Sunday, when flames unexpectedly jumped while the chef was spraying oil on the hot plate.
The boy's family frantically smothered the fire, with help from restaurant staff.
He suffered burns to his face, arms and hands and was taken to Westmead Children's Hospital, where he remains.
The boy's father also suffered second degree burns and was taken to hospital.