"Kalo had red spots all over this face, chest and arm before he was diagnosed with herpes.
"He had ulcers in his mouth and needed injections in his eyes to ensure the infection hadn't spread to them as this could've blinded him.
"I have heard of babies dying from catching this virus which is awful and I think the only reason Kalo survived is because he was just under two at time.
"I hope our story serves as a warning to other parents as it could happen to anyone.
"Kissing children on their mouths and sharing cutlery is a common way to catch herpes, as it's spread through saliva."
Kalo - who was admitted to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester on January 12 - needed an intense course of IV antibiotics in a bid to rid him of the infection.
Andy, a bus driver, added: "Kalo had struggled to eat days before his diagnosis which was a real worry for us as parents.
"But thanks to the amazing care of the doctors and nurses he began eating yogurts as he began to recover.
"Lorna shared the pictures of Kalo via Facebook to raise awareness for the infection and it went viral.
"We want to encourage people to research the virus and look into its causes to prevent their children from going through what Kalo did."
The couple who have three other children, Jayden, eight, Kaci, six and Jenson, four, are now sharing Kalo's shocking hospital photos, which show how quickly the herpes virus spread across his face, in a bid to raise awareness.
Lorna said: "Since getting home has been getting along great and is finally back to his good self however the scars have remained on his face from the sores he had while in hospital.
"We would all like to say thanks to the staff who cared for Kalo in one way or another at Wythenshawe Hospital.
"As a family never thought this would happen to us but we're so lucky that Kalo pulled through after his treatment.
"I hope through sharing our experiences of it that we prevent others from going through the same."