• 1 tblsp olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 2 carrots, chopped
• 800g can crushed tomatoes
• 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 litre chicken stock
• 1 cup uncooked small soup pasta
• 2 cups shredded savoy cabbage
• 2 small zucchinis, halved, thinly sliced
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 1 tblsp each freshly chopped basil and parsley
Heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, beans, stock, pasta and 1 litre water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the cabbage, zucchini, peas and herbs. Simmer a further 5 minutes. Season to taste.
Serve soup topped with croutons, grated parmesan, cracked black pepper and fresh basil leaves, if desired.