• Mini candy canes, to decorate
• 125g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
• ⅔ cup caster sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 free-range eggs, at room temperature
• ⅓ cup milk
• 1⅓ cups self-raising flour
• 150g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
• 2½ cups icing sugar mixture
• 2 tblsps milk
• Red food colouring gel
Line a 12-hole muffin pan (⅓ cup-capacity) with paper cases.
To make cakes, beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Transfer to a large bowl. Add milk and flour, in two batches, stir until combined. Divide evenly among cases.
Cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
To make frosting, beat butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in ½ cup icing sugar at a time until combined. Beat in milk. Dot five small separate drops of colouring over icing. Don’t stir or mix. Gently spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 2½cm plain nozzle, without mixing in colouring.
Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top with candy canes.