• 400g can sliced apple pie fruit
• 2 tblsps sultanas
• 2 tblsps maple syrup
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 8 large, square slices white sandwich bread
• 50g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
• 1 tblsp icing sugar mixture
• 300ml tub thickened cream
• ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
To make sauce, combine cream and sugar in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally, gently boil for about 10–12 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, combine apples, sultanas, syrup and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
Spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Turn half the bread slices over, butter-side down. Top with apple mixture, spreading to edges. Place remaining slices, butter-side up, over apples.
Place two sandwiches at a time in a heated jaffle maker. Close lid. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until toasted. Remove. Cut in half diagonally.5 Dust with sifted
icing sugar. Serve with ice-cream, if desired. Drizzle sauce over the top.