Man has arm AMPUTATED after eating sushi

The raw fish contained flesh-eating bacteria
New England Journal of Medicine/Getty

A man has had his arm amputated after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from raw-fish.

The 71-year-old man, from South Korea, developed a fever and pain in his left hand only hours after eating sushi.

Doctors diagnosed him as having vibrio vilnificus, flesh-eating bacteria which formed ulcers and blisters all up his arm, according to the New England Journal of Medicine.

New England Journal of Medicine
(Credit: New England Journal of Medicine)

His arm had to be amputated 25 days after he was admitted into hospital.

Luckily, the unnamed man did well after his surgery and has since been discharged home.

Related stories