REAL LIFE

Shocking photos show dangers of wearing headphones on an airplane

Ouch!
Australian Transport Safety Bureau

A woman had the shock of her life when her battery-powered headphones exploded on a flight to Melbourne leaving her with burns to her face and hands.

The unnamed Australian woman says she was sleeping when she felt a burning feeling on her face and realised her headphones were on fire.

RELATED: Pregnant mum suffers painful burns from iPhone 7 as she slept

‘I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire,’ she told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ASTB).

‘As I went to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them. They put them into the bucket at the rear of the plane.’

painful burn from exploding headphones on plane
The passenger had painful blisters on her hands from her exploding headphones. (Credit: Australian Transport Safety Bureau)

The plane was filled with the smell of burned hair and plastic for the rest of the trip.

‘People were coughing and choking the entire way home,’ she says.

The ASTB say the battery in the headphones likely caught on fire and want to remind passengers that batteries and battery-powered devices must not be stored in checked luggage, and appropriately stowed away when not in use.

Related stories