Missing mum sent controversial text to newspaper before she disappeared

The mother-of-three has been missing for five days

Elisa Curry, the missing Melbourne mother-of-three, sent a text message the day she vanished to the Letter to the Editor section of the Herald Sun regarding her views on same-sex marriage. 

The 43-year-old was last seen by a neighbour at 10pm at the family’s holiday home in Aireys Inlet, Victoria, on Sunday.

Now, it has been revealed that Mrs Curry sent text messages expressing her views on same-sex marriage in the final hours before she vanished.

She reportedly contacted the newspaper at 2:21pm on Saturday, saying: ‘I love and respect gay people and they deserve better than this.’

The message continued, ‘You should know what you are voting for before you cast your vote. Thank you John Howard for being forthright and honest in what has been a vicious campaign largely run by extremists.’

The message is being widely reported today as an insight into her state of mind and activities in her final hours – and there is no suggestion that her views, which were not published, had anything to do with her disappearance. 

Mrs Curry, a former economist from Melbourne’s inner-west, went to watch the AFL Grand Final at her home with neighbours on Saturday night. 

One of the neighbours told police she was with Mrs Curry at her holiday home when she started to get ready for bed at 10pm. 

When Mrs Curry’s husband, who was attending the AFL game with the couple’s children, arrived at the house the following morning, she was not there.

The police search for the mother-of-three will enter its fifth day today.

Victorian police initially believed she went missing after going on a jog with the family’s black labrador. 

Police believed the family dog to be with Mrs Curry before it was found distressed in a neighbours yard. 

Victoria Police Inspector Peter Seel said officers were now unsure if Mrs Curry went on a run at all. 

Inspector Peter Seel said police had yet to determine which direction Ms Curry went after leaving the home.

‘It could have been toward the seaside to Aireys Inlet or bush tracks. She was known to run a fair bit to Lorne (20km away) and back,’ he told 3AW radio. 

Despite the search for the 43-year-old entering its fifth day, Insp. Steel said he remained ‘hopeful she is alive’.

‘We’re looking for a live person at the moment. Obviously, yes, as time goes on the less likely it is that she’s alive.’

‘She could have gone for a run and injured herself, she could have become disorientated and lost, there could be suspicious circumstances,’ he said of Ms Curry, who is an avid runner and competed in marathons.

Inspector Seel said her husband David Curry, and their children, were ‘distressed and worried’ about her fate.

‘They don’t know what’s happened and we can’t give them the answers at the moment, which is sad,’ he said.

Her husband David Curry broke his silence on Tuesday morning pleading with the public to phone police if they had seen his wife.

‘I, my kids, we just want her to come home,’ he said, before speaking directly to his wife in the hope she was still alive. 

Anyone with information about Ms Curry’s disappearance is urged to call Crime Stoppers. 


This article was originally published on New Idea

Related stories