REAL LIFE

Boy, 10, and sister, 4, critical after apple juice drink in restaurant left them coughing up blood

Horrifying.

Two children, one celebrating his 10th birthday and his little sister, have been hospitalised after a drink of apple juice from an all-you-can-eat buffet caused them to start vomiting blood.

It was Richie Zaragoza’s 10th birthday and his family had decided to head out to dinner. Richie suffers from cystic fibrosis and diabetes, so the birthday party with his mum, Virginia, his uncle, and his three siblings was meant to be a happy distraction.

Horrifyingly, when Richie and his little sister, Ginaya Mendoza, 4, took sips of apple juice they spat it out immediately.

’It burns! It burns!’ Richie screamed, according to LancasterOnline.

RELATED: Our chips were sprinkled with poison

Both children became incredibly ill, spitting and vomiting blood and were rushed to hospital where they were stabilised.

The children are being treated for severe burns to their throats and mouths.

According to LancasterOnline tests conducted on the juice revealed traces of methanol – an ingredient in methylated spirits that makes it poisonous.

The MirrorOnline spoke with the children’s aunt, Ally Colon, who says the children are improving, but she was horrified to see how sick it had made them.

Related stories