The parents of the baby girl left brain damaged after being given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen in a Sydney hospital have told of their heartbreak.
Amelia Khan has been allowed to go home after the error at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital on June 20 but she has to be fed through a tube and constantly suffers seizures.
Her parents Benish and Danial Khan remain hopeful but admit their daughter's future is uncertain.
'It's devastating as a parent to be told that your precious daughter has suffered permanent brain damage,' they said in a statement.
'We remain full of hope for Amelia's future but we worry for her and want to do everything we can to make sure she has the best life she possibly can.'
Another baby, John Ghanem, was also the victim of a similar mix-up. He was given laughing gas instead of oxygen and died.
The Khan family have expressed their condolences to John's parents: 'We can only imagine the intense pain this family is going through and our hearts go out to them.'