NEWS

Tiny turtle had swallowed 104 pieces of plastic

The turtle died after being washed up on the beach

Staff at an animal centre have shared a shocking photo of a dead tiny turtle and the plastic that was found in its intestines.

The turtle had washed up on a beach in Florida and was taken to the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca Raton.

The animal died from septic shock after 104 pieces of plastic clogged up its intestines.

Posting on Facebook, the center said the turtle could fit in the palm of a hand.

‘It’s washback season at Gumbo Limbo and weak, tiny turtles are washing up along the coastline needing our help, the post read.

‘Unfortunately, not every washback survives. 100% of our washbacks that didn’t make it had plastic in their intestinal tracts.’

The post urged people to do what they can to reduce the amount of waste plastic ending up in the ocean.

Related stories