Husband who crashed car into river, killing his wife, has still not apologised to her family

He was having an affair at the time

A man who killed his wife because he’d had enough of her, before plunging their car into a river, has failed to apologise to her family.

Edward Kenneth Lord, 56, is currently awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to the manslaughter of his wife Michele in October 2015.

Appearing in the NSW Supreme Court, packed with the woman’s family and friends, the Gold Coast man displayed no remorse for his actions.

The Daily Telegraph reported how Lord’s legal team described the ‘excellent day’ he and his wife enjoyed as they drove through northern NSW before he ‘spontaneously’ ploughed their car into the Tweed River.

Court documents revealed that Lord managed to escape from the Nissan 350z, before returning to the water to pull his wife through the vehicle’s window.

He then tried to revive Michele with CPR but she was taken to hospital where her life support was switched off two days later.

Michelle Lord
(Credit: NSW Police Force/ Facebook)

Lord was having an affair with Malaysian national Siew Ping ‘Margaret’ Fong, who he met in a Thai massage parlour.

According to the Daily Telegraph, documents from NSW Supreme Court revealed how Lord had proposed to Ms Fong and had even moved her into the couple’s home as a maid in 2015.

It’s reported he convinced his wife to let Ms Fong stay in their home to help with housework, particularly as Ms Lord was ill with breast cancer.

A week before Ms Lord’s death, she went to police claiming her husband had attempted to drug her by putting a sleeping tablet in her wine.

Michelle and Edward Lord
(Credit: NSW Police / Facebook)

Ms Lord told Queensland police she believed he had done this so he could have sex with Ms Fong.

Despite this, police didn’t investigate Ms Lord’s claims.

Mr Lord’s defence said his marriage with Ms Lord was unlike other domestic violence cases ‘where there is a history of assault and a wife in fear’ who is trying ‘to extricate herself from a domineering husband.’

The barrister added, ‘There were some difficulties at the end but they were in the process of working through them.’

But a witness on the night of the crash told police they heard a pair arguing in a carpark, with the offender saying words to the effect of ‘I’ve had a f***ing enough of your s*** and the deceasing saying ‘just take me home.’

On Thursday’s sentence hearing, NSW Supreme Court Justice Ian Harrison said, ‘The courtroom is full of people who don’t have a voice. They can be forgiven for being disappointed they hadn’t heard (Lord speak) could they not?’

Lord is due to be sentenced next Friday.

Related stories