A Brisbane mother is warning others about the hidden dangers of headphones after her son was left with shocking injuries.
Bradley Willoughby, 16, was practicing motorbike jumps on their property, as he had done many times before, when the bike sped out of control and into a barbed wire fence.
But while he suffered lacerations to his stomac and a broken ankle, it was actually his headphones which caused the most damage.
Speaking to The Cairns Post, Bradley's mum, Angie, said that her husband had to pull the headphones out from inside Bradley's neck.
'Bradley had his iPhone in his pocket and had his earphones in and as he’s gone through the fence, the fence has grabbed the earphones and, because they were up inside his helmet, the barbed wire pulled the earphones straight across his throat,' Angie told The Cairns Post.
'No one realises, but inside the headphone cord is fine copper wire which has cut through some of the muscle. He is very lucky he didn’t cut his trachea.'
Thankfully Bradley remained conscious throughout his ordeal and was flown to Cairns Hospital for treatment.
To read more, click here.