Thermomix was yesterday ordered to pay the fine for misleading the public in relation to the safety of its appliances after the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission took legal action against it.
Thermomix admitted four contraventions of consumer law and its controversial TM31 model was recalled in 2014 after 14 cases of users being burnt by hot liquid because of a faulty seal.
Danika Jones, who was burnt when her Thermomix’s lid blew off and exploded pasta sauce on to her in January 2016, said the fine was a step in the right direction.
“It is good they have JUacknowledged there is a fault and it’s good they have come forward and let other people know there is a risk,” the 33-year-old said.
The TM31 recall applied to appliances sold between December 2012 and September 2014 within a limited service range number. Ms Jones said it should apply to all TM31s.
“It is positive they are admitting something but if people feel their machine is faulty they should get a refund or a new one,” she said.
“There are still people out there who don’t feel safe. I know plenty of people who fall outside that window.”
Ms Jones is still scarred from the accident and is pursuing legal action against Thermomix through Slater and Gordon.
She said she was contacted at least once a month by people burnt by the machines.
Melbourne Federal Court Justice Bernard Murphy said in his judgment that the company’s Australian arm knew there were issues with the TM31 months before they recalled it in October 2014. ACCC Commissioner Sarah Court said Thermomix knew there was a potential safety hazard with its product in July 2014 but did not inform customers until September 2014“This is a serious contravention of the Act,” he said. “A large number of consumers were exposed to the risk of serious burns.”
Thermomix admitted making false and misleading claims in a statement in March 2016 when it said the TM31 had “never been the subject of a product recall” and the appliance was safe. with AAP
This article originally appeared on PerthNow.