A Kentucky woman is facing charges after her 8-month-old baby allegedly swallowed methamphetamine and overdosed.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that 28-year-old Summer Stark was arrested after her son was admitted to Norton Children's Hospital in Louisville on Friday and treated for an overdose.
“There’s been stories throughout my travels in the state of children finding illicit substances and things of that nature, but not one 8 months of age that had to be hospitalised,” Trooper Josh Lawson told WLKY.
Neighbour Rita Welch said she was shocked by the little boy’s hospitalisation.
"It just broke my heart," she recounted. "I mean, how could anyone have that around little kids? This is a small town, so you hear about it everywhere. But for a little child? You hear (about) adults and teenagers, but a baby? Oh no. It just can't believe it. It's sad."
Stark—who also has a 10-year-old daughter, has been charged with wanton endangerment, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.
This article was first published on Marie Claire.