- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsps mixed spice
- ¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups coarsely grated carrot
- extra finely chopped walnuts, to decorate
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 150g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar mixture
Line five 12-hole mini muffin pans with paper cases (1½-tbs capacity)
Beat eggs, sugar and oil in a small bowl of an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in combined sifted flour, bicarb and spice. Stir in walnuts then carrot. Spoon levelled tablespoons into pan holes.
Cook, two pans at a time, in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Stand in pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining mixture.
To make frosting, beat cheese and butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until thick. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with ½cm star nozzle.
Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Decorate with extra walnuts.