Miso: White miso or shiro miso is a nutrient-rich paste made from fermented soy beans. It’s available from the Asian section of major supermarkets. Miso paste should not be boiled to avoid changing its flavour and texture.
• 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
• 500g chicken breast fillets
• 20g piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks
• 180g soba noodles
• 1 litre (4 cups) water
• 1 bunch broccolini (225g), trimmed, cut diagonally into 3cm pieces
• 150g cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup white miso paste
• 2 green spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
Place stock, chicken fillets and ginger in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil. Simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from pan. Cool slightly.
Prepare noodles according to packet directions. Drain. Set aside.
Add water, broccolini and mushrooms to stock in pan. Bring to the boil. Simmer for about 2 minutes, or until broccolini is just tender. Remove pan from heat.
Meanwhile, thinly shred the chicken.
Pour 1 cup of the soup into a heatproof jug. Stir in the miso paste until smooth. Return to soup and stir until combined.
To serve, divide noodles and chicken evenly among serving bowls. Spoon over the hot soup and top with spring onions.