A 12-year-old girl has died while on holiday after using so much aerosol deodorant that she was overcome by fumes in the family’s caravan.
Paige Daughtry was found by her mother, lying face down in their rented caravan. Her girl had apparently just gone swimming and was getting dressed while listening to music.
She was rushed to hospital but could not be revived, and was pronounced dead.
An aerosol can of deodorant was found near her collapsed body, and her parents admitted that their girl was so concerned about smelling bad that she often used enormous amounts of deodorant.
Her parents Ann and Stuart spoke at an inquest into their girls death - saying she had been warned about spraying too much deodorant in a small space but also that she was paranoid about body odour.
‘I suppose that’s something every 12 year old girl would do, spraying deodorant. But she was overusing deodorant – it was more than we would have expected any girl to put on,’ Ann said.
‘But there was never a point we started to think there was an issue – not in the way we would have thought she was doing any sniffing or anything like that. There were no indications what so ever, I would have noticed.’
Police agreed there was no evidence that Paige had intentionally abused the aerosol cans, and her death was put down to ‘death by misadventure’ reports The Sun.