Australian comedian Fiona O’Loughlin has opened up about the terrifying medical drama that saw her given just a seven per cent chance of survival.
Speaking on Gold104.3’s Jo & Lehmo show, Fiona revealed how she fell into a month-long coma after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning from her heater.
Although she has since made a full recovery, the much-loved star said she initially didn’t pick up on the symptoms.
“It went over the course of a month. I forgot things, I thought I was getting early Alzheimer’s,” she stated.
“I was forgetting things, forgetting my kids’ names. But then I did forget I was an alcoholic," she said, making light of her much-documented struggles with addiction.
What Fiona didn’t realise was that she was being slowly poisoned.
“I was given a seven per cent chance of life. Guess what? I didn’t die,” she laughed.
RELATED: Our house was poisoning us
After four weeks, O'Loughlin emerged from her coma and has since made a full recovery. She hasn't experienced any long-term side effects from the poisoning.
Often referred to as “the silent killer’ carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless and has the ability to incapacitate people without them realising.
This article first published on New Idea.