31-year-old Otis Gooding was serving a customer in a busy wine store on Wednesday when a bright spark erupted from his pants pocket.
Footage from the store security camera shows Otis’s pocket lighting up like a firework, shooting sparks and smoke all around the shop as customers flee for cover.
Otis’s co-worker told CNN that normally e-cigarette devices weren’t that powerful - but this particular one had been customised to have a higher voltage.
‘Unfortunately there was nothing we could do but call the police,’ he says.
Otis was taken to hospital where he is receiving treatment for third-degree burns to his thigh and hand.