A 20-year-old student well-known for community service choked to death during an eating contest after eating four or five pancakes.
Caitlin Nelson had made a name for herself being active within her community, and it was at an event for her college sorority that tragedy struck and she collapsed while eating.
Since Caitlin had a few allergies, responders first thought she was going into anaphylactic shock, however her allergies were found to not be a factor.
’She starts to choke on pancake on someone recognized it — one of the nursing students at the competition — and she caught her and brought her slowly to the ground,’ Lt. Robert Kalamaras of Fairfield police told The Post.
‘And then she began CPR, basic life support, until officers showed up less than two minutes after the emergency call was made by one of the nursing students.’
Despite the fast response, medics were unable to clear her airway and she died at the Columbia University Medical Center.
Tributes poured in for Caitlin, whose father was one of the police officers who lost his life during the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.