An 11-year-old girl has received some nasty burns after playing with homemade slime.
US mum, Siobhan Quinn, said her daughter, Kathleen, has second- and third-degree burns on her hands after playing with some slime they made at home.
"She was crying in pain, 'My hands hurt, my hands hurt,'" Quinn said in an interview with ABC's Boston affiliate, WCVB, on Monday. "When we looked at them, they were covered in blisters."
A common recipe for slime is Borax, a cleaning product, Elmer’s Glue and Water.
"I thought it was great," Quinn said. "I encouraged it, bought all the stuff, and then when they were gone, I bought more. She was being a little scientist ... [Now] I feel terrible. I feel like the worst mother."
Kathleen was taken to South Shore Hospital in South Weymouth, Massachusetts and treated for her burns, which doctors said was likely due to prolonged exposure to Borax.
Borax is a naturally-occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water.
Earlier this year, US Paediatric doctor Richard Uluski warned NBC of the potential dangers when using Borax in slime recipes.
“It is just like putting lead in paint and putting that on a toy and kids don’t want to put that in their mouth so it’s the same aspect here,” he said.
This article first appeared on Practical Parenting.