So much yum.
• 150g unsalted butter, melted
• ½ cup caster sugar
• 1 cage-free egg, lightly beaten
• 2 cups self-raising flour
• 670g jar pitted Morello cherries, drained
• Thick vanilla custard, to serve
Grease and line an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges.
Whisk butter, sugar and egg in a large bowl. Stir in the flour to form a dough. Press two-thirds of the dough over the base of pan.
Spread cherries over a tray lined with absorbent kitchen paper to remove excess moisture. Arrange cherries over the dough in the pan. Crumble remaining dough over top.
Cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for about 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden. Serve slice warm with custard.