Owner Jacqui Wood of Currumbin Valley said she had initially checked the empty washing machine before popping a load of towels in.
'I didn’t have any powder and went to get some from the pantry,' she told The Gold Coast Bulletin. Wood also added that she then placed the powder in and closed the door without rechecking the load.
'It was a brain-fart I suppose...I always check the dryer and washing machine before I put something in. He didn't make a sound.'
Forty-five minutes later, Ms Wood returned to find Manace, her beloved cat, unconscious on top of the towels.
Wood added, 'I pulled him out and put the hair dryer on him because he was cold. When I put it out on him, he opened his eyes so I knew he was alive.'
'I threw him in the car and rushed him to the vet,' she said.
The veterinary staff then battled for four hours to save Manace.
Tallebudgera Veterinary Clinic practice manager Sue Evans said Manace was a 'miracle kitty.'
Ms Evans said the practice tended to see odd things happen over and over again, but had never come across a cat surviving a full cycle in a washing machine.
She said while the incident was traumatic for everyone involved, Manace was now 'the cleanest kitty in town.'
This article originally appeared on New Idea.