If you're one of the people who still showers barefoot at the gym, it might be time to change your ways.
A US man caught a grotesque flesh-eating infection after showering barefoot in his gym. What started as a hard, itchy spot on the man's foot soon evolved into full-blown warts before morphing into open wounds, the Daily Mail reported.
The man tried countless remedies before eventually needing skin graft surgery with fish scales to patch the wounds. Two months after the surgery, the man is still unable to walk.
The man anonymously sent his story and pictures to Houston's 94.5 The Buzz in the hope he could spread the word about the dangers of showering barefoot in public.
"Do yourself a favour and wear shoes in any public area where there is water," he said. "The scary thing is, the virus can live for over two years on a shower floor. Take care of your feet so they can take care of you."
This article first published on Women's Health.