- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Line the base of 4 x 22cm shallow round cake pans with baking paper.
- Individually prepare chocolate and vanilla cake mixes to packet directions, using eggs and oil as needed. Pour each mixture evenly between two cake pans. Bake for 25-30 min or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in pans for 5 min. Cool completely on wire racks.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, place cream cheese, white and chocolate frostings (supplied with cake mixes) icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a plate, spread the top with a quarter of the frosting. Repeat with remaining cake layers and frosting, alternating white and chocolate layers. Decorate cake with shards of Chocolate Bark.
- Combine 2 tablespoons each toasted almond flakes, finely chopped glace ginger and cherries in a bowl. Stir half of this mix through 200g melted milk chocolate, then pour immediately onto alined baking tray. Spread out thinly. Sprinkle top with remaining nuts and fruit, pressing in gently. Allow to set completely, and then break into thin shards.
Source: that's life! TEST KITCHEN
Photo: JOE FILSHIE/RICHARD WHITBREAD